Scoping and Feasibility
As you begin considering the construction of a new building, you will want to determine the needs and opportunities you want to address and begin a feasibility study and scoping process in the early stages. Be sure to place this in writing and seek an understanding by key stakeholders. Assemble a list of potential team members. Some of the major items to consider in Scoping and Feasibility are:
- Develop the project plan and objectives
- Define the Scope
- Identify programmatic requirements
- Define the major deliverables
- Determine constructibility and identify planning, building systems, infrastructure and structural limitations
- Determine building dimensions, shape and clear heights.
- Establish rough scope of work and conceptual design
- Identify the major risks
- Develop ROM budget (Rough Order of Magnitude) and preliminary schedule
As you develop the scope and feasibility, be sure to ask a lot of questions and don't get caught in the trap of making too many assumptions.